Apple Oatmeal For Babies/ Toddlers
This apple oatmeal for babies is simple and easy to make. Flavored with apple and touch of cinnamon this baby oatmeal can be ready in just under 10 minutes. Adjust it’s texture according to your baby’s age by adding a little breast milk, or other type of milk to make it silkier and smoother. This baby oatmeal porridge makes a delicious breakfast that can be served for babies 6 months and up, toddlers and even older kids.
When starting serving oatmeal for babies, at first make it plain with no added ingredients so your baby can get accustomed to the taste and texture, and then you can progress to adding fruits and vegetables to your baby’s oatmeal and expand their taste palate.
Provided that your baby is already accustomed to single food purees categorized as stage 1 baby food, combining oatmeal with apples is a great way to transition to more complex stage 2 baby food meals. This apple oatmeal provides nutrients, fiber and helps your baby feel full for longer.
Related: Oatmeal For Toddlers, Kids (Recipes)
How To Make Apple Oatmeal For Babies
Making oatmeal for babies with apple is pretty simple, here are the steps:
- Grate an apple with a box grater and set aside. You’ll need one small apple or half of a large apple.
- Cook the oatmeal with regular rolled oats and water. Add 2 times as much water and bring to a boil.
- Add the grated apple and cinnamon, if using, and cook for 3-5 minutes (stir occasionally while it cooks). Cooking the fruit along with the oatmeal will yield a more intense flavor and a softer texture.
- Then blend with a blender. Then you can adjust the consistency and add more liquid (milk) if needed. For best results use a baby blender or a hand held blender.
For 6 month old babies:
Babies at 6 months don’t know how to chew yet, so you need to make sure the apple oatmeal porridge has a smoother texture, by adding more liquid and blending until silky smooth.
Apple Oatmeal For 8-9 Month Old Babies:
Once your baby learns to chew and handle chunkier food in the mouth (typically between 7 and 9 months) you can cook regular rolled oats with chunks of apple together.
Once cooked, it will turn into a mushy tender oat porridge and then you can add any additional liquid after cooking (plant milk, breastmilk), including spices. No need to use a blender anymore.
More Baby Apple & Oatmeal Recipes:
Related: Baby Oatmeal Cookies + Variations (9 months +)
Related: Sweet Potato Apple Broccoli Puree For Baby Stage 2 (6 month +)
Apple Oatmeal For Babies/ Toddlers
- 1/2 organic rolled oats
- 1 cup to 1½ water
- 1 small apple (grated or use applesauce)
- 1/2 tsp butter (optional)
- 1/4 cup milk (breastmilk or plant milk )
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- Bring the rolled oats with water to a boil. Add 2-3 times as much water.
- Grate an apple (you'll need aproximately 1/2 an apple) and add to the boiling oatmeal. Add the cinnamon, if using, and cook for 3-5 minutes (stir occasionally while it cooks) on low heat.
- Once cooked through, add the butter and mix to combine. Let the apple oatmeal cool a bit and blend with a blender. Adjust the consistency by adding more liquid (milk) if needed. For best results use a baby blender or a hand held blender.
©ThrivingNest. Content and photographs are copyright protected and need prior permission to use. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to other websites and any social media is strictly prohibited. Sharing and using the link of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated!